The final week of the mermaid winter wear collection is here, and I am finishing it off with the Tunisian Crochet Mermaid Mittens.
The mittens themselves don't actually have a mermaid tail like the matching scarf and hat, since I couldn't get one attached to them without making the mittens impractical or looking ridiculous! However, they are worked in the same stitch as their matching items and in the same yarn which definitely echoes the mermaid theme for the the set.
Like the hat and scarf, the mittens come in two sizes, toddler (approximately age 1-3) which are 12cm around and 14cm long, and the child size (approximately age 4-7) which are 16cm around and 18cm long. They are worked in the round from the bottom up and the thumb is also worked in the round at the end of the mittens.
These little mittens will finish the mermaid winter wear off perfectly for any little mermaid fan this winter. There is also plenty of time to make the entire mermaid set as a gift for someone special this Christmas.
You can find the pattern for the Tunisian Mermaid Mittens below for free. Join me next week for the final blog post of the year. See you then,
- Materials and Resources
- Aran / Worsted weight yarn – 65-75m or 40-50g – I used Caron Simply Soft Paints in Oceana
- 7mm double ended Tunisian hook for child size and 6mm for toddler size
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch marker to mark the start of each round
- Ch- chain
- TSS – Tunisian Simple Stitch
- TPS – Tunisian Purl Stitch
- TKS – Tunisian Knit Stitch
- TWS – Tunisian Twisted Stitch
- TFS – Tunisian Full Stitch
- Dec – insert yarn through 2 vertical bars, yo and pull up a loop through both stitches.
- RP – return pass, always yarn over and pull through 1 loop and the yarn over and pull through 2 loops all the way to the end of the row.
- Yo – yarn over
- sl st – slip stitch
- The gauge for this pattern is 13 rows and 14 stitches in a 10cm of alternating TWS and TSS when using a 7mm hook.
- The gauge for this pattern is 14 rows and 16 stitches in a 10cm of alternating TWS and TSS when using a 6mm hook.
- T The mittens come in two sizes, toddler (approximately age 1-3) which are 14cm around and 16cm long, and the child size (approximately age 4-7) which are 16cm around and 18cm long. The only thing you need to change to get the different sizes is the hook, the pattern is worked exactly the same.
- The hat is worked in the round, if you are not familiar with Tunisian in the round, then please see this video for help; https://youtu.be/1vN3KdVB7u4