I'm back this week after a lovely week away camping with my family. It is always nice to take a break, but now I am ready to get back to sharing the patterns for my Cup Cozy series, and this week it is the turn of the pig.
The Pig Cozy, like the other animal cozies, is worked in the round, although this time I decided to use the knit stitch. The Tunisian Knit stitch is one of my favourite stitches and I am always amazed by how much it really does look like knitting! I chose to make the background in a pale pink for the forward pass, whilst I used a white colour for the reserve pass. Unlike other Tunisian stitches, the reverse pass colour doesn't show through as much so this cozy background looks predominantly pink. As with a lot of other stitches though, the knit stitch does have a tendancy to curl as it is worked and so I also used a couple of rows of purl stitch either side to counteract this.
The dimensions of the Pig cozy are the same as the others, 7cm high and 12cm across (or 24cm in the round) and as such is a great stash busting project as it doesn’t use up too much yarn. Once I finished the Cozy I added a cute pig motif in a darker pink to ensure it stood out. I am sure it would work well with other pig colours too.
You can get the pattern for the Pig Cup Cozy below. Join me next week for the final design (at the moment anyway), the Elephant Cup Cozy, which happens to be my favourite design!
Pig Cup Cozy
- Materials and Resources
Below is a list of everything you will need to make this cozy
- 4ply cotton (I used King Cole Giza) in the following;
- Light pink – around 15-20m
- white – around 15-20m
- dark pink – small amount for pig
- black – small amount for eyes and nose
- 3.5mm double ended crochet hook
- Tapestry needle
- Stitch marker
2. Stitch List
Below is a list of all the stitches (and their abbreviations) featured in this pattern. All terms used are American.
- Ch- chain
- TSS – Tunisian simple stitch
- TPS – Tunisian purl stitch
- TKS – Tunisian Knit stitch
- RP – return pass
- sl st – slip stitch
- sc – single crochet
- yo – yarn over
- sc inc – single crochet increase – 2 single crochet in same stitch
- Hdc – half double crochet
- Dc – double crochet
- m/c – magic circle
Here are a few handy tips to help you with the pattern.
- The gauge for this pattern is 20 rows and 11 stitches of Tunisian knit stitch in a 5cm square.
- The finished pig cozy is 7cm tall and 12 cm wide (24cm all the way around.)
- The cozy is worked in the round, if you are not familiar with Tunisian in the round, then please see this video for help; https://youtu.be/1vN3KdVB7u4
Cozy– start in pink and use white for the RP
|2||Sk ch and TSS across, RP in white||55|
|3||TPS around, RP||55|
|4-23||TKS around, RP||55|
|24||TPS around, RP||55|
|25||Sl st cast off using TSS pattern.||55|
|Sl st to join and cast off, sew in ends|
|1||6 sc in m/c||6|
|2||(sc inc) x 6||12|
|3||3 sc inc, 3 sc, 3 sc inc, 3 sc||18|
|4||4 sc, ch 13, sk ch and 12 sl st down ch, 3 sc, sc, ch 2, dc, ch 2, sl st, 2 sc, sc, ch2 , dc, ch 2, sc, 4 sc, sl st|
|Cast off with long tail for sewing|
|1||6 sc in m/c||6|
|3||(sc inc) x 6||12|
|4||6 sc, 6 x sc inc||18|
|5||(Hdc ch 1 hdc) in same stitch, 3 sc, (hdc ch1 hdc) in same stitch, sl st cast off with long tail for sewing|